Sunday, October 30, 2011

family lessons at law school.

I'm an only child, and I've always wanted to have siblings but of course I've never been able to really experience what that's  like. When I think about families I usually think of the unity, closeness, warmth,  love that's supposed to exist, and not as much about the drama, competition, favorites, rebels, cliques, head-butting, loneliness, or even awkwardness that can also exist in families, especially ones with lots of people in it. 


So far I've felt all of these things in school, and in the beginning (or up until a few weeks ago.. woops) I found myself complaining about law school because it feels too much like high school sometimes. Luckily, probably for me most of all, I'm realizing the truth of a quote that says, "love is what you go through together." I really believe that's true. 


This past weekend I remembered/though of a few other quotes that illustrate the same principle.


"I used to think love was an attribute, until I realized it was a commandment. And it becomes an attribute only after you keep the commandment."
-Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin


"A major reason the family is so important to the plan is really quite straightforward: it is the only place where we cannot hide from who we really are as we strive to become what we are destined to become. 


"In essence, a family is the mirror through which we become aware of imperfections and flaws we may not be able or want to acknowledge. Thus the family is the ultimate laboratory in mortality for the improving and perfecting of God's children."
-Elder David A. Bednar


Yay life and learning :). I'm so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment