Sunday, June 10, 2012

first week in nyc!


happy moments and blessings during my first week in ny.. :)

smiling. day one--i had a day with no plans so i decided to just walk around and get acquainted with the city. i started on 101st and started walking south on lexington, which is east of central park and runs north-south. besides taking the city in, i had this urge to start interacting with people bc i just love them! so i decided to do a smiling goal. i smiled at everyone i saw and tried to get 10 people to smile back at me. i got 4 smiles but i thought it was an accomplishment bc i met some really great people and even a new friend! totally made my day!

umbrella on the train. on my way to work my first tuesday, a man on the train started talking to me about my decision that day to wear flip flops with my dress suit. i told him it was bc i didn't want to get my dress shoes dirty. he agreed that was a good idea and mentioned it was also smart bc it was supposed to rain that day! he asked me if i had an umbrella and i told him i didn't. and then guess what he did? he offered me his umbrella! what a nice man! i told him no, that i would be fine. but he insisted that i take it and assured me had plenty in his office. i tried again to politely refuse but he just looked at me and said, "no really, take it." i said ok and accepted his offering gratefully. then, i got off the train and it was raining. so grateful for an umbrella! 

women helping me with directions on the train. i was lost, which has not been unusual and this woman was really nice and asked me if i was lost (normally i am asking them), and i said yes. i was trying to get to the temple and trying to get there at a certain time but had gone the wrong direction. i think actually more than being lost, at that point i just felt really frustrated. she suggested i take the express train up and then go down one stop. i took her advice and made it to the temple on time. made my day!

an old friend. i went to the manhattan 3rd ward my first sunday with the girls i was staying with (now my roommates) and during testimony meeting the first guy that gets up.. I KNOW HIM!! it's elder roskelley from the first district i taught at the mtc. i was BEAMING! it was so exciting to see him. he lived in nyc before his mission and i had wondered if he would be there, and there he was in my ward! 

a warm/loving place to stay. i did not know where exactly i was going to live. well actually i had a place in mind, but then ended up staying with some amazing girls and they asked me if i wanted to stay with them. i feel so good about being here and know that i am where i'm supposed to be. the other place i was going to stay in ended up being ok bc another girl randomly decided to buy my contract for me!

me and the ferry. the staten island ferry and i already have a really interesting relationship. the past week i have been running to the ferry. i don't know why i haven't learned my lesson and just get there early, i think i've tried but something just keeps happening. anyway, i run to the ferry and then somehow i always make it, just as the doors are closing and one day it even was 5 min late. so after i had already given up and accepted the fact that i was going to be 30 min late, bc there wasn't another ferry for 30 min, i walked slowly into the lobby only to find a crowd of people waiting for the ferry that was late just like me. and it was even my favorite ferry! (there are 2 different ferries, and one is just nicer than the other and it has an outside deck that you can sit on.)

No comments:

Post a Comment